Wednesday 3 September 2014

Owen Gildersleeve I love your work!

I'll try to make every conscious effort I have to not just make this a post gushing about how much I love this incredibly talented illustrator and designer's work, but it's very difficult because he's brilliant!

All images in this post have been taken from Owen Gildersleeve's website and were created by Owen Gildersleeve.

I've only recently been introduced to the work of Gildersleeve and regret not discovering him sooner. As an avid admirer of Rob Ryan's work it's really refreshing to see someone who, in my opinion, is on the same creative level as Mr Ryan, just taken in a different direction. One of the things I find most inspiring about these 2 creatives is their patience: it is something I greatly admire and need to learn from if I want to get anywhere with more traditional work. 

'Let's do brunch' - Personal project
'Do something' - The Guardian 
'External memories' - Scientific American 
'Incident of Nature' - Royal Mail 
'Quest for dairy without the ouch' - Lactofree
'Chunks for a change' - Ben & Jerry's
Honestly some of the most beautiful work I've ever seen. Yes this is my dissertation research blog and should be written accordingly so, but when I'm writing about beautiful design I can't help it it makes me go all fangirl-y. In his work Gildersleeve has limited his use of digital processes, as far as I can tell, to just photography (as I stated in my proposal) - this gives the audience the opportunity to really appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into each individual piece of design. I love paper-craft work because it creates a perfect combination of design, illustration and art and can really reach a wider audience than pure digital or pure illustration can. 

Referring back to my first post on here where I argued that one of the problems with handmade design is the critique of 'oh well I could do that' - this is definitely not the case here I feel. Gildersleeve's work, like Ryan's, is complex and intricate and not something that every designer can do. This style of design will obviously take much longer than it's digital counterpart, does that therefore mean it has more value?

No comments:

Post a Comment