Friday 5 September 2014

It's almost as if 15 year old me knew...

I bought this book when I was in year 10 at school and have read it frequently ever since - not only are the images beautiful, the words are too and I think this book connects with everyone on some level. I was introduced to Rob Ryan's work through a friend and have been obsessed ever since. From talks to notebooks, calendars to books I've either got it or had it. There's something so satisfying about his work that as a consumer you appreciate the craftsmanship and serious attention to detail. Ryan's work has become so prestigious within the design world that he has been hailed as "the king of paper cutting" and I'm sure you can see why:







Not only are the images themselves beautifully crafted; the words are composed beautifully by Ryan, tackling issues, putting into words things you couldn't say yourself. One of the things I love the most about Ryan's work is the typeface that has become so recognisable, it's just so genuine and authentic. Ryan's work is so widely renowned that it has spawned dozens of copycats of his style around the world. I would say in this case that's not necessarily a bad thing - it means more people are making design by hand, and I think that's really important to the industry. 

*All images scanned in from my copy of the book

No comments:

Post a Comment